Yogurt Marinated Lamb Kebabs
Marinating lamb in yogurt tenderizes the meat while mellowing the gamey flavor. This one also infuses it with fresh mint, rosemary, and lemon.
- 2 lbs lamb, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup yogurt
- 2 lemons
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/2 cup fresh mint, tightly packed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbs paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 red onion, large
- 2 red or orange bell peppers
- Zest one of the lemons to get 1 tsp fresh lemon zest. Then juice the lemons. You should get about 1/4 cup juice. Remove the rosemary and mint leaves from their stems.
- Combine the yogurt, lemon juice, lemon zest, olive oil, rosemary, mint, garlic, paprika, salt, and pepper in a blender. Process until smooth.
- Add lamb to a large resealable bag, or wide, flat container. Pour the marinade over it, then refrigerate and marinate for at least 4 hours, but overnight works as well.
- If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes prior to use.
- Cut the onion into 1 1/2 inch squares, with about 3 layers of onion each. Cut the peppers into 1 1/2 inch squares as well.
- Thread the lamb onto the skewers, alternating with onion and peppers.
- Cook the lamb on a hot grill for 10 to 15 minutes, turning 2 or 3 times. This will get the lamb to a nice medium-rare.