Parmesan Tomato Zucchini Gratin
This vegetable bake highlights the bright, welcoming flavors of tomato and zucchini, functioning wonderfully as a light lunch or side dish for a heavy meal.
- 3 medium zucchinis, thinly sliced
- 5 medium plum tomatoes, thinly sliced (Alternatively, this is a beautiful dish for heirloom tomatoes)
- 2 tbs olive oil (Plus more for drizzling)
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 to 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 350 F and lightly grease a 9 x 13 baking dish.
Sauté onion in 2 tbs olive oil over medium heat until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute more.
Remove from heat. Add about 1/2 the onion mix to the bottom of the baking dish and spread along the bottom.
Layer the tomatoes and zucchinis, alternating slices, until the dish is filled. Top with the remaining onions, then drizzle on salt, pepper, and Italian spices. Sprinkle on Parmesan.
Bake until lightly browned, about 35 minutes.