Cowboy caviar is a cold dip welcome at any party. It's layered flavors and colorful ingredients make it a healthy addition to any appetizer table.
- 1 can diced tomatoes, about 14 oz (Can sub for 3-4 Roma tomatoes)
- 1 can black beans, about 15 oz
- 1 can black eyed peas, about 15 oz
- 1 can sweet corn, about 15 oz
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced (Or can use 1/2 of two different colors)
- 1-2 jalapeños, diced (Optional)
- 1-2 avocados, diced (Optional)
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped (Optional)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup vinegar or lime juice
- 2 tbs honey
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Drain the liquid from everything canned, and rinse the beans for good measure. Combine all the caviar ingredients in a large mixing bowl and toss to evenly combine.
In a separate bowl, combine all dressing ingredients and whisk to emulsify.
Pour dressing over caviar and toss to coat.
Let rest at least 20 minutes before serving, but can be made a day ahead and refrigerated.
Versions of this recipe pop up all over the country. To keep it authentically Midwestern, skip the jalapeño and avocado, and add use super sweet corn.