Vanilla Bean Banana Waffles
While they might not be Jack Johnson's famous 'Banana Pancakes', these Vanilla Bean Banana Waffles make any morning luxurious.
Vanilla Bean Waffles
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tbs white sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped could substitute with 1/2 tsp vanilla paste
- 2 banana, sliced
- 1 3/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbs butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbs white sugar optional
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract optional
- Preheat waffle iron on medium.
- Lightly mix dry ingredients (flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, vanilla bean scrapings) in a bowl until evenly distributed. Set aside.
- In a different bowl, whisk together wet ingredients (banana, milk, eggs, butter, vanilla extract).
- Slowly whisk in the dry ingredients to the wet to avoid clumps.
- Ladle the batter into the waffle maker. Amount of batter and cook time vary per machine. Cook waffles until golden brown, generally about 4 1/2 to 6 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whip the cream (plus sugar and vanilla extract) on high speed until soft peaks form.
- Dollop onto fresh waffles and enjoy!
Even within my family, we've got widely different sugar tolerances. Play with how much sugar you use in the batter and the whipped cream to find the perfect balance for you. These are also great with a hint of cinnamon! If you don't have a waffle iron, simply turn these into pancakes and cook on a stovetop griddle. Portion out individual pancakes using 1/3 cup.