Lobster rolls were trending for a while a few years ago. We like them so much, though, that we'd argue they're still "in." The normal lobster roll, although delicious, is fairly texture-free. Texture is something that can elevate any food item, and adding a bit of crunch to the standard lobster roll is one way wow guests at your next backyard picnic. Joanne Ozug, food and travel writer and recipe developer of Fifteen Spatulas, has just the way to do this.
Her homemade lobster roll recipe isn't a run-of-the-mill lineup. It includes an herbed potato chip dust that adds flavor and texture to the dish. You don't need to be in Maine to enjoy this one, folks.
FRESH LOBSTER ROLLS WITH HERBED POTATO CHIP DUST
JOANNE OZUG, FIFTEEN SPATULAS
POTATO CHIP DUST INGREDIENTS:
1 CUP POTATO CHIPS
1 TBSP PACKED CELERY LEAVES
1 TBSP PACKED PARSLEY LEAVES
1 TBSP PACKED CHIVES
SALT, TO TASTE
LOBSTER ROLL INGREDIENTS:
2 LIVE LOBSTERS (3 POUNDS TOTAL)
1 TBSP MINCED CELERY
1 TBSP MAYONNAISE
1 TSP LEMON JUICE
1 TSP MINCED CHIVES
SALT AND PEPPER
2-3 HOT DOG BUNS, TOASTED
1. Combine kettle cooked potato chips, celery leaves, parsley, and chives into a food processor
3. Prep the lobster dressing by combining mayonnaise, celery, chives, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
4. Boil the lobsters and separate the tail from the rest of the body.
5. Cut the shell with kitchen shears and pull the tail meat out. Do the same with the claws.
6. Once you've removed all the meat from the lobsters, cut it into bite-sized pieces.
7. Toss the meat with your dressing and place on a toasted hot dog bun.
8. Sprinkle herbed potato chips on top and enjoy!
These lobster rolls scream summer. Because of that, we suggest washing them down with a delicious Paloma.