Trail Mix Cookies
These guilt-free chewy oatmeal cookies come packed with a blend of protein rich nuts and dried fruit—a great power snack!
- 1 1/4 cup old fashioned oats (Not quick cook)
- 3/4 cup flour (All purpose or whole wheat)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt (Skip if any of the nuts are already salted)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 8 tbs butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup pepitas
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup raisins
- In a mixing bowl, combine oats, flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or a bowl tall enough to use with a hand mixer), beat butter on medium until smooth, about 10 seconds. Lower the speed to medium-low, then add honey and sugar, and cream until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract, then beat until just combined.
- Change the speed to low, and slowly begin incorporating the flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time. Avoid over beating and stop once just incorporated. Stir in nuts and raisins by hand.
- Scoop the dough in rough tablespoons and shape into a ball. Place dough balls 2 inches apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Refrigerate the dough for at least 30 minutes, but up to over night.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Bake until the edges are done, but the center is still slightly under done, about 9-10 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest on baking sheet until they cool completely, this allows them to finish cooking on the baking sheet.
These versatile cookies make great gifts at potlucks and BBQs, are a wonderful pick-me-up snack, and are divine with our slow cooker apple butter.