Tomato and Goat Cheese Panzanella
This robust salad is a wonderful make ahead meal that manages to get even better as it rests. Bring it for lunch or share with friends at a potluck.
Goat Cheese, Tomato, and Basil Salad
- 1 loaf French or Italian bread, a day or two old works best
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, torn
- 1/3 cup goat cheese crumbles
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbs white wine vinegar (Have an extra tbs handy just in case)
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Cut the bread into large, rough, 1-inch cubes. Heat the 3 tbs olive oil in a wide saucepan over medium. Add the bread, and cook, tossing frequently, for 10 minutes, or until nicely browned.
- Meanwhile, toss together the tomatoes, red cabbage, and goat cheese.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients to have at the ready.
- When the bread is done, add it to the tossed vegetables. Pour the dressing over the bread, and toss.
- This salad gets better as it sits. If you're able, let it rest 30 minutes before eating. It can also be prepared hours ahead of time, perfect for potlucks, barbecues, or make ahead lunches.