Tomatillo Salsa, also known as Salsa Verde, is a sauce best served with tortilla chips, on enchiladas and even spooned into tacos.
- 1 lb tomatillos, husks removed and washed
- 1/3 cup chopped white onion
- 4 cloves garlic, skin on
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 jalapeño, chopped (optional)
- Salt, to taste
- Preheat your broiler to high and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Cut the tomatillos in half and place cut side down on the pan. Sprinkle your garlic cloves on the pan. Place under the broiler until the skins of the tomatillos are lightly browned, about 6 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the broiler and remove the garlic cloves from their skin. In a blender combine the tomatillos, garlic, onion, cilantro, lime juice, jalapeño and salt. Mix until ingredients are chopped and mixed. Serve with tortilla chips.
The jalapeño adds a bit of heat to the salsa but you can always leave it out. You can find tomatillos in your produce section in the grocery store.