Texas Sweet Potato Casserole
No sweets here! Our Texas Sweet Potato Casserole is topped with melted cheese, slices of black olives, and a sprinkling of green onions.
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped black olives
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF.
- In a large pot, add the sweet potatoes and cover with water. Add the salt and bring to a boil. Boil until tender, about 10-15 minutes. Drain.
- Add the sweet potatoes back into the pot and mash with the cinnamon, black pepper, cumin, and butter. Mash until smooth. Pour into a casserole dish and top with the cheese. Bake until cheese is bubbly, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with olives and green onions. Serve.
Add a bit of hot sauce into your potatoes if you want this dish to have a little more spire. You can make this in advance by mashing the sweet potatoes up to 1 day in advance.