Tennessee White Chili
Flavorful chili doesn't always have to be red. This Tennessee chicken and bean chili packs a flavorful punch while remaining lighter than its beefy cousin.
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 1/2 lb chicken, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 30 oz white beans, drained (We like Great Northern or cannellini)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 8 oz chopped green chilis
- 2 tbs cilantro, chopped
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium. Add the chicken and onions, and cook until the chicken is cooked through. Add the garlic and sauté for a minute.
- Add the beans, broth, chilis, cilantro, cumin, oregano, cayenne, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
- Serve topped with cheese, diced peppers, cilantro, or sour cream, as desired.
Make this recipe even faster by using up leftover chicken breast chopped into cubes. And sop it up nicely with a batch of fresh cornbread that you can whip up while the chili is simmering.