Sweet and Sour Chicken Wings
Do you like the combination of sweet and sour? These Sweet and Sour Chicken Wings are the perfect addition to any tailgate.
For The Chicken Wings
- 16 chicken wings (about 2 3/4 pounds)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup canola oil
For The Sauce
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- red chilis to garnish
- Prepare the chicken by cutting off the tip of the wing and discarding. Find the joint and cut the chicken wing into two pieces. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
- In a pie dish combine the flour, lemon zest, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Dredge chicken wings in the flour mixture until nicely coated.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet with the canola oil over medium-high heat and add the chicken pieces. Cook until browned, turning to brown all sides. Remove the chicken from the skillet and arrange in a baking dish.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, add the sugar, vinegar, pineapple juice, ketchup, and soy sauce. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally and pour over the chicken.
- Bake until chicken is no longer pink, about 30 minutes, turning the chicken over halfway. Serve.
Save the tips of the wings to make homemade chicken stock. If you cannot fit all of the chicken wings into your skillet at once, cook them in groups.