Succotash with Bacon and Tomatoes
Toss together this colorful and nutritious side dish, and you'll ensure everyone eats their vegetables tonight.
- 1/2 lb bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium zucchini
- 2 medium yellow squash
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 bell pepper
- 20 oz lima beans
- 3 cups corn kernels
- 1 pint cherry tomatos, halved
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, diced
- Chop all your vegetables (except garlic and cherry tomatoes) to roughly the same size. I like 1/2 inch to 1 inch dice.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp, then remove to a paper towel lined plate. Reserve about 2 tbs bacon fat in the pan.
- Cook the onion, zucchini, and squash until soft, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and bell pepper and let cook until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, corn, and beans. Cook for 1-2 minutes until warmed through and the tomatoes have wilted slightly.
- Stir in basil and thyme and remove from heat. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Try tossing in your favorite hot pepper with the bell peppers to add a spicy kick!