Steakhouse Creamed Spinach
More savory than your average creamed spinach, this version ups the ante with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese and a rich roux.
- 24 oz baby spinach
- 8 tbs butter, divided
- 5 tbs flour
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan (Optional)
- Over medium, melt 3 tbs butter in a large pot. Add as much spinach as you can, adding more as it cooks down, if necessary. Cook until wilted but not soggy, 4-5 minutes. Remove from pot and set aside.
- In that same pot, melt the remaining 5 tbs butter. Sprinkle in 5 tbs flour and stir to evenly combine. Stirring occasionally, cook until light golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add chopped onion and garlic, stir, and cook until softened, 1-2 minutes.
- Add milk, whisking while pouring to ensure the flour mix gets incorporated. Stirring occasionally, cook until thickened like a gravy, about 5 minutes.
- Season cream with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Add spinach and stir gently to combine. Serve immediately, topped with Parmesan, if desired.