Spider Cake Pops
Looking for a fun Halloween baking project to tackle before the big day? Make these Spider Cake Pops decorated to look like the real thing!
- 1 9-inch chocolate cake
- 1/4 cup chocolate frosting
- 1/2 lb black candy melts
- 20 cake sticks
- candy eyeballs
- 3/4 cup black sugar
- licorice laces
- Break the cake into small crumbles with you hands. Add in the frosting and mix until the cake is moist and can hold its shape. Take a walnut size piece of the mixture and roll into a ball and place on wax paper. Repeat with the remaining cake. Place all of the balls in the freezer for 15 minutes. Remove from the freezer and place in the fridge for an hour.
- Once the cake balls are fully set, melt the black candy melts according to its instructions.
- Stick a cake stick in each of the cake pops by dipping one side of the pop in the melted candy and sticking it in the ball. Then dip the entire ball in the candy melt up to the stick. Tap off excess and add the eyes to the ball.
- Cover the ball in the black sugar and place the cake pop upside-down on a piece of Styrofoam to harden. Repeat with the rest of the cake pops.
- Once the cake pops are set, use a toothpick to poke 4 holes on each side of the ball. Cut the licorice to the desired length and insert them into the holes, bending them to look like legs. Serve.
Make sure the cake pop is fully set before adding the candy melts. You can find most of these decorating supplies online or at your local craft store.