Soft Pretzel Bites with Honey Mustard Dip
These pillow-y soft pretzel bites paired with tangy honey mustard make for an irresistibly poppable snack that you can't expect to stick around for long.
- 2 1/4 tsp yeast (One packet)
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tbs butter, melted
- 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 cups flour
- 7 cups water
- 1/2 cup baking soda
Honey Mustard Dip
- 3/4 cup whole grain mustard
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tbs white vinegar (Or lemon juice)
- 1 tsp cayenne
- Whisk the yeast into 1 cup warm water and allow to sit for 1 minute to proof the yeast. You want to see it foam up.
- Add the brown sugar, salt, and melted butter, stirring to combine. Begin adding the flour about 1/2 cup to 1 cup at a time, mostly incorporating the flour before adding the next amount. Stop when the dough is no longer sticky.
- Place the dough in a large, lightly greased mixing bowl, cover it lightly and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the Honey Mustard Dip and prepare the baking soda bath by combining 7 cups of water and the 1/2 cup baking soda in a wide pot over the stove. Warm the mixture to dissolve the baking soda, then let rest on a low heat, warm but not simmering.
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Turn dough out to a lightly floured surface and divide into six pieces. roll each piece into a rope about 12 to 15 inches long, and cut each rope into about 12 pieces.
- In batches, add the pretzel bites to the water and let stay immersed 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove to a baking sheet and sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Bake until golden brown, about 12-15 minutes.
Honey Mustard Dip
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir to evenly incorporate. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.