Slow Cooker Venison Barbacoa
Venison lends itself to slow cooked barbacoa like no other. After minimal prep, just sit back and wait for tender, flavorful taco fixin's.
- 6 lb venison roast
- 3.5 oz canned chipotles in adobo
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 jalapeños, chopped
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbs chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tbs salt (Use smoked salt if you have it)
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 pint beef stock (Use venison broth if you're lucky enough to have it)
- Optional but tasty: Bring roast to room temperature. Heat 2 to 4 tbs oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sear each side of the venison until browned, then transfer to the slow cooker. Reduce the heat to low, then pour in the stock to deglaze the pan. Add that liquid to the slow cooker.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the slow cooker, then cover and cook on low until the meat is fork tender. On low, it'll take about 5 to 7 hours. High could work as quickly as 2 hours, but may not turn out as tender if the animal was a bit older.
- Serve with an array of cotijo, cilantro, salsa, tortillas, lime, and anything else you'd enjoy!