Slow Cooker Strawberry Ketchup
Skip the high-fructose corn syrup and wasteful plastic bottles and make your own hassle-free sweet and savory strawberry ketchup in the slow cooker.
- 28 oz canned diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 lb strawberries, trimmed and quartered
- 1/2 cup white or apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbs dark brown sugar
- 1 tbs kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp ground celery seed
- 1/8 tsp clove
- Optional: Roast the strawberries in a 400 F oven for 10 minutes.
- Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Purée the ketchup with an immersion blender, food processor, or blender, then return it to the slow cooker.
- Keep it uncovered and cook on high for 1 hour to thicken the ketchup. Keep an eye on it, it may be good to stir it once every 20 minutes or so.
- Adjust the taste here as needed. If you need tang, try apple cider or balsamic vinegar. For sweetness, use honey or another liquid sweetener.
- Transfer to jars and refrigerate or freeze. It'll expand a little while freezing, so leave a little room. It will keep in the fridge for about 2 months, but closer to 6 months in the freezer.