Slow Cooker Spinach, Sausage, and Tortellini Soup
This flavor-packed Italian soup is easy to toss in the slow cooker in the morning to have a stress free dinner after work or school.
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 oz canned or boxed crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbs Italian seasoning (Or use a blend of dried thyme, oregano, and basil)
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tbs basil, chopped fresh (Plus more for garnish, if desired)
- 6 oz spinach
- 16 oz cheese tortellini
- freshly grated Parmesan
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Brown the sausage on the stove top, and drain the oil and transfer to the slow cooker. The sausage can be prepared ahead of time.
- Add the onion, garlic, tomatoes, seasoning, and broth. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 7 hours. Taste and add salt and pepper, if needed.
- Add the tortellini and cook on high to warm through, about 15 minutes for frozen, closer to 8 for fresh. Stir in the spinach and fresh basil, allowing to wilt.
- Serve, garnished with freshly grated Parmesan and fresh basil, and enjoy!
This is wonderful with a crusty loaf of bread or our kalamata olive muffins, and for an interesting flavor boost, add a spoonful of fresh pesto to the soups when served.