Slow Cooker Pasta alla Carbonara
Grab a bottle of wine and conjure a romantic Italian bistro with this creamy, sinfully delicious pasta alla carbonara.
- 9 oz thick cut bacon, diced
- 1 1/4 lb boneless skinless chicken meat, cubed
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/3 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 lb pasta
- 2 tbs pasta water
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/8 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (Plus more for sprinkling)
- Generous amounts of freshly cracked pepper
- Fry up the bacon until crispy and transfer to the slow cooker, leaving most of the drippings behind.
- Add the chicken meat, onion, garlic, broth, and black pepper to the slow cooker and lightly stir to mix.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Cook the pasta per package directions and drain, reserving about 1/4 cup of the pasta water.
- Meanwhile, whisk together egg yolk, Parmesan, and black pepper. Next, slowly add 2 tbs pasta water and whisk to form a sauce. If it's not saucy enough, add extra pasta water, 1 tbs at a time.
- Add to the slow cooker along with the cooked pasta. Toss to evenly coat, then serve and enjoy!
This is a fun recipe to build off of. Want a pop of color? Add about a cup of peas before the sauce. Want some deeper savory notes? Add some mushrooms with the onions.