Slow Cooker Charro Beans
Nothing's easier than this slow cooked Tex-Mex favorite, great for dinner or as a side.
- 1 lb dry pinto beans
- 5 cups broth
- 1/2 lb bacon, sliced
- 3 med tomatoes, diced
- 1 jalapeno, sliced (Or swap for serrano to make it more spicy)
- 1 med onion, diced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Lime wedges
- Rinse beans well, remove any stones or grit.
- Combine all ingredients except the cilantro, shredded cheese, and limes in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook until beans are tender, about 10-14 hours on low or 5-7 on high.
- Serve with a wedge of lime and a sprinkling of cheese and enjoy!
To lessen the cook time, soak the beans overnight in water. They'll take 5-6 hours on low, or 2-4 on high. And try it with some cornbread!