Slow Cooker Carrot and Cabbage Chili
Add a little bit of vegetables to your dinner with our Slow Cooker Carrot and Cabbage Chili. Cooked up in the slow cooker, this dinner practically makes itself.
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp Mexican oregano
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 15-oz cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- In a small bowl stir together the chili powder, cumin and oregano. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat add the oil and ground beef. Season with salt and pepper and break apart with a wooden spoon. Brown the meat and cook until mostly cooked through, about 5 minutes total. Transfer the meat to your slow cooker.
- To the slow cooker combine the meat, carrots, kidney beans, diced tomatoes, tomato paste and beef broth. Stir in the seasoning and cover and cook on LOW for 7 hours. Add the cabbage and cook 30 minutes to an hour more. Remove from heat and stir in the apple cider vinegar. Serve.
This hearty stew is perfect for rainy days. We add the cabbage at the end to make sure it doesn't become stringy or overcooked.