Slow Cooker Balsamic Glazed Chicken
This chicken has all the hallmarks of a successful weeknight dinner—quick to toss together, fall off the bone tender, so flavorful it feels like eating out.
- 4 bone-in, skin on chicken breasts
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbs honey
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: Lightly season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Heat an oiled skillet over medium-high heat. Starting with the skin side down, brown both sides of the chicken, cooking about 3-5 minutes per side.
- Lightly grease a 5 or 6 quart slow cooker. Transfer the chicken to the slow cooker.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, ground mustard, cayenne, garlic, honey, vinegar, and chicken broth. Pour this mixture over the chicken.
- Cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through and reaches an internal temperature of 165 F. This should take about 7-8 hours on low or 3 1/2 to 4 hours on high.
- Optional: Transfer the chicken to a serving plater and cover to keep warm. Pour the cooking juice into a sauce pan or skillet. Reduce by half over medium-high heat to thicken the sauce, then drizzle over the chicken and / or sides.
- Serve with a side salad, warm rice or crunchy bread, and enjoy!