Simple Homemade Gravy
Complete any roast by keeping those flavorful juices and turning them into an amazing gravy with this easy 4-ingredient, 4-step recipe!
- 4 tbs butter
- 4 tbs flour
- 3 cups liquid (use a combination of de-fatted pan drippings and broth)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Melt butter in a medium sized sauce pan over medium-high. Sprinkle in the flour and begin to stir.
- Continue stirring and cooking to bring the roux to the desired shade of brown. The darker it gets, the nuttier and more developed the flavor will be. I like to use either a flat-edged wooden spoon or a whisk for this step.
- Reduce the heat to medium low, then slowly add the liquid, whisking to incorporate. Stirring as needed, let cook and thicken for about 4-5 minutes.
- Season to taste, and serve.
Want to add some extra layers of flavor? Cook down an onion in the butter before adding the flour, or add some fresh herbs or spices after you've added the liquid. If the gravy ends up too thick, add some extra broth. If it's too thin, mix 1 tbs corn starch and 1 tbs water, then add that to the gravy. Gravy is surprisingly forgiving, so have fun with it!