Simple Herb Dressing
Make this homey classic with aromatic herbs and your dressing will complement any Thanksgiving dinner spread.
- 1 lb day-old bread
- 8 tbs butter
- 2 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 3 cups broth
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tbs fresh sage, chopped (or 2 tsp dried)
- 1 tbs fresh rosemary leaves, chopped (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 tbs fresh thyme, chopped (or 1 tsp dried)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 250 F.
- Cut bread into rough 1 inch chunks then scatter in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Stirring occasionally, bake until dried out, about 1 hour. When done, let cool on baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and celery and cook until just beginning to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer dried breadcrumbs to a large mixing bowl. Add cooked onion and celery to breadcrumbs and toss to combine.
- In the same pan the onions and celery were cooked in, add the broth, parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme. Stir and let simmer 1-2 minutes.
- Drizzle in broth 1/4 cup at a time and toss. Continue until all broth has been incorporated. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a 9 x 13 baking dish and bake until crisp and golden on top, about 20-30 minutes.