Quiche is the perfect dish to make for any meal- brunch, breakfast, lunch, even dinner. With this quiche recipe, you'll be using ingredients like pork sausage, bell peppers, cheddar cheese, and a rich egg mixture. Cut back on prep time by using a pre-made pie crust, which is convenient and simple. However, if you're feeling ambitious, you can absolutely use a homemade pie crust. Quiche is also a great dish to serve at a potluck or for an Easter brunch gathering.
For this recipe, you'll first cook sausage in a large cast-iron skillet until cooked through. You will want to reserve some of the sausage drippings to use to sauté the green peppers for the next step. Once the bell peppers have cooked for about one minute, combine them in a large bowl along with the cooked sausage, cheddar cheese, eggs, heavy cream, and salt & black pepper. Line a pie plate with the pre-made, unbaked pie crust and then pour in the egg and sausage mixture. This quiche takes about 35 minutes to bake until it's completely set.
Feel free to use other veggies, cheeses, and meats along with the sausage and bell peppers. Some other great ingredients to use are bacon, Swiss cheese, zucchini, or mushrooms. If you're a fan of bell peppers, try using different colors like red and orange. This is a quiche recipe that is easy to customize to your likings.
This is also a make-ahead meal. Just prepare the quiche following the directions below and after it bakes until set, allow to completely cool down. Once it's cool, wrap the entire pie pan with plastic wrap and freeze. When you're ready to serve this quiche, reheat it in the oven until warm and golden brown.
Quiche can be served as a meal on its own, however, serving with a light salad or fruit salad is always a nice addition as well.
Sausage and Cheese Quiche
- 1 lb. pork sausage
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 9-inch unbaked pie crust
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
- in a large skillet, cook the sausage, breaking into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 8 minutes. Remove from skillet but reserve about 1 Tbsp of the drippings in the skillet.
- To the skillet add the green pepper and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle in flour and cook 1 minute.
- In a large bowl combine the sausage, bell pepper, 1 cup of cheese, eggs, heavy cream, salt and pepper. Pour the mixture into the unbaked pie crust. Top with the remaining cheese and bake until the eggs are set, about 35-40 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.