Sausage and Cheddar Waffles
Brunch just got an upgrade. These Sausage and Cheddar Waffles are topped with a fried egg, sliced jalapeños and a drizzle of maple syrup.
- 1 16-oz package Italian sausage
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 Tbsp melted butter
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- eggs for topping
- maple syrup
- sliced jalapeños
- In a large skillet over medium heat add the sausage and cook, using a wooden spoon to break it up, until golden brown and cooked, about 8 minutes. Set the sausage aside while preparing the waffle batter.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cheddar cheese. In a separate bowl whisk together the melted butter, plain yogurt, milk and eggs. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry and stir in the cooked sausage until just combined.
- Preheat your waffle iron and pour the batter onto the iron and cook until the waffle is golden brown and cooked through. Serve topped with sliced jalapeños, maple syrup, butter and a fried egg.
These waffles freeze well. Simple place them in freezer bags and reheat them in the toaster or oven. The addition of a fried egg and maple syrup bring these waffles over-the-top.