Red, White, and Blue Lemonade
This strawberry blueberry lemonade is as refreshing and flavorful as it is patriotic. Make it star spangled with apples and a star shaped cookie cutter.
- 1 1/2 cup blueberries, divided
- 1 pint strawberries, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 7 cups water, divided
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 apples
- Slice half of the strawberries, then set aside for now.
- Add the sugar and 2 cup water to a medium saucepan. Heat over medium until the sugar dissolves, then add 1 cup of blueberries and the sliced strawberries. Bring the mix to a boil and cook until the fruit begins to break down, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Strain the mix to remove solids, and let cool.
- Meanwhile, cut the remaining strawberries in half, leaving some whole for garnish. Slice the apples into thick rings, then cut with a cookie cutter into star shapes. Dip these in the lemon juice as needed to prevent browning.
- In a large pitcher, whisk together the cooled syrup with the lemon juice, water, apples, blueberries (leave a small handful out for garnish), and halved strawberries.
- If desired, top with ice to chill the rest of the way, otherwise refrigerate.