Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 1 1/2 hours
- 2 tbs butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 jalapeños, diced
- 14 oz canned fired roasted tomatoes (Or use 2 cups fresh if they're in season!)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack
- 8 oz cream cheese, cut into 2 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup milk (Use more as needed)
- Chopped cilantro (Optional garnish)
In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter then sauté the onion and jalapeño until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and tomatoes and cook for 1 minute more.
Transfer vegetable mix to the the slow cooker and add the shredded cheese, cream cheese, and milk. Cover and cook on low for 1 1/2 hours.
Check on the queso, stirring well. If it's too thick, add extra milk, about 1-2 tbs at a time.
Serve, topped with fresh cilantro if desired. Can stay warm in the slow cooker for about 3 hours without much change to consistency, but I doubt it'll last that long!