Tis the season for pumpkin-flavored everything. No, really: pumpkin pie, pumpkin cake, pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin ice cream, pumpkin bread, pumpkin cinnamon rolls, pumpkin moonshine, pumpkin mashed potatoes... I could keep going, but you get the idea. There are a lot of pumpkin recipes out there this time of year. Here's one more pumpkin dessert, though, that's super easy and fast to make. This creamy and not-too-sweet pumpkin pudding recipe will make your whole family happy.
This pumpkin pudding recipe takes four ingredients and five minutes prep time plus a long hour while you wait for it to chill. Start by mixing together one large box of instant vanilla pudding mix (the 5.1 ounce package) and one 12 ounce can of evaporated milk in a large bowl. Then stir in a whole 15 ounce can of pumpkin puree (note: not the canned pumpkin pie filling) and two teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice. If you don't have pumpkin pie spice, add a teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg and 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves. Whisk until all the ingredients are incorporated and there are no lumps. You can use a handheld mixer, too.
Spoon the pumpkin pudding into six cute small bowls or glasses for individual servings. Refrigerate until the pudding is set, which should be a total time of about an hour. When you're ready to serve your pumpkin pudding, add a dollop of whipped cream on top along with another sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice. You can sprinkle brown sugar-candied pecans over the whipped cream or add a ginger snap cookie on the side. Honestly, you should sprinkle a few mini chocolate chips on the top, too (chocolate and pumpkin go great together).
The recipe is easy to double if you've got a crowd to feed, or if you just want to make extra for the next day.
- 1 large box instant vanilla pudding mix 5.1 ounce box
- 1 12 ounce can evaporated milk
- 1 15 ounce can pumpkin purée
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- whipped cream optional, for garnish
- candied pecans optional, for garnish
- Mix the instant vanilla pudding mix and evaporated milk together, then whisk in the pumpkin puree and spices.
- Spoon into six small bowls or glasses. Place in the refrigerator for an hour or until set.
- Garnish with whipped cream and candied pecans or other toppings.