Pumpkin Blue Cheese Quiche
Looking for a way to take advantage of those beautiful fall and winter squashes? Try this wonderfully savory pumpkin quiche!
- 2 cups pumpkin pieces, bite sized (I like buttercup pumpkins, kabocha pumpkins or butternut squash for this)
- 2 small onions, sliced
- 4 tbs olive oil, divided
- 1 9 inch pie crust (Store bought or make your own)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tbs fresh sage, sliced
- 1/4 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Toss pumpkin in 2 tbs olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast until tender, about 30 minutes. Set aside and let cool when done. Raise oven temperature to 375 F.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add the sliced onions and a pinch of salt. Cook onions until caramelized, about 20-30 minutes, stirring frequently during the second half. Set aside and let cool when done.
- Put pie crust in pie pan and poke the bottom with a fork to prevent it from bubbling up in the oven. Par-bake for 6 minutes then set aside to let cool.
- In a medium bowl, whisk heavy cream, eggs, and sage until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine roasted pumpkin, caramelized onions, and blue cheese. Toss to evenly mix.
- Distribute the pumpkin mix evenly into the cooled pie crust. Then pour on the egg mix.
- Bake until golden brown and the middle passes the toothpick test, about 35-40 minutes.
- Allow to cool 10 minutes before serving.