This recipe was created in partnership with Texas-based Janie's Cakes.
Pound Cake Tiramisu
With the help of Janie's Cakes, this Pound Cake Tiramisu uses sweet and buttery pound cake slices in place of ladyfingers.
- 2 cups brewed espresso, room temperature
- 1/4 cup Bourbon
- 4 egg whites
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 8 oz mascarpone cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 Plain Jane Cake
- Cocoa powder, for dusting
- In a small bowl combine the espresso and bourbon and set aside.
- Add egg whites to an electric mixer and beat on high until stiff peaks form. Remove to a large bowl and set aside.
- Meanwhile, over a double boiler, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, and salt. Over low heat, whisk constantly until the temperature reaches 160ºF, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the egg yolk mixture to the mixer and on medium speed, beat until light and creamy, about 4-5 minutes. Add the mascarpone cheese and vanilla extract and beat until thick and smooth. The cheese will be lumpy at first but keep beating until smooth. Fold in the egg whites.
- Slice the Plain Jane Cake into small slices and very briefly dip one side of the cake into the coffee mixture and place in a prepared square baking pan.
- Repeat until the first layer covers the entire bottom of the pan. Top with half of the custard mixture and dust with cocoa powder. Repeat with a second layer, ending with a dusting of cocoa powder.
- Cover the pan with plastic wrap and let chill in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight. Cut into slices and serve.
You can make this with strong coffee instead of espresso. This dessert is way better the next day.