Fill your kitchen with wonderful smells using this simple and delicious make ahead dinner.
- 3-4 lb chuck roast
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 3 tbs butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 4-6 carrots, cut into 2 inch segments
- 4-6 potatoes, quartered
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 6 sprigs fresh rosemary, separated
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme, separated
- 2-3 cups beef broth
- Salt and pepper
- Rub salt and pepper onto meat.
- Add olive oil to large pot or Dutch oven and heat over medium-high heat. Once heated up, add meat to sear until a crust forms, 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove meat to a plate and set aside.
- Lower heat to medium and add butter. Once melted, add onions, carrots, potatoes, and garlic. Scrape the bottom of the pan and stir frequently. Cook until the onions start to turn translucent and the vegetables start to color, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add wine and 3 sprigs each of rosemary and thyme. Continue to scrape the bottom and stir until the wine begins to thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Return meat and any accumulated juices to the pot.
- Add enough broth to cover the meat half-way.
- Cover tightly and simmer until meat is fork tender, 3 1/2 - 5 hours.
- Garnish with remaining fresh herbs and serve.
Get adventurous with your veggies! Adding celery, parsnips, or mushrooms makes for fun variations.