Sometimes buying pastries pre-made is an easier, more convenient approach to a quick breakfast. However, these Peppermint Chocolate Pop Tarts are blowing away those expectations because in 30 minutes, you can have what can only be described as a hybrid between a chocolate pop tart and a peppermint croissant.
Paired best with coffee, or milk, or Irish coffee, these homemade pop tarts take the mystery ingredients out of your favorite childhood breakfast snack and instead are a more grown-up version. You can skip the sugar glaze if you prefer, or you can throttle it up and get your sugar on. No judgment here.
Peppermint Chocolate Pop Tarts
These Peppermint Chocolate Pop Tarts are our perennial weekend breakfast because they're just too easy.
Pop Tarts & Filling
- 2 packages puff pastry dough, thawed
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coca powder
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup milk (Can use heavy cream as substitute)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 ounces milk chocolate, chopped
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- Food coloring of choice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lay out puff pastry sheets to thaw (30 minutes).
- Heat small saucepan over medium heat. Add the cocoa powder, brown sugar, milk, salt, and the milk chocolate. Stir until the chocolate is melted, cooking at a low boil for five minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and add the vanilla and peppermint extracts. Set aside to cool and thicken.
- Whisk together the milk and egg for the egg wash. Set aside.
- Lay out thawed puff pastry sheets. Cut each sheet into three vertical rows. Stack the rows on top of each other and cut in half to form six equal sheets. Repeat with second puff pastry sheet.
- Brush egg wash along outside rim of one puff pastry square. Spoon filling on top. Pinch edges with fingertips, then crimp with fork.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the pastries are golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- Mix together the milk and powdered sugar for the glaze until desired consistency is reached. Add food coloring of choice.
- Drizzle glaze over cool pop tarts and enjoy!