Pennsylvania-Dutch Apple Butter
This Pennsylvania-Dutch apple butter is so good, you'll want to eat it with a spoon straight from the jar!
- 3 lbs apples, peeled Mix crisp and sweet varieties
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1.5 cups sugar, divided
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground all-spice
- Combine apples, cider, and 1/2 cup of sugar in a Dutch oven or stock pot.
- Bring apple mixture to a boil and simmer for 40 minutes until apples are tender. Stir every few minutes.
- Place apple mixture in a blender, and blend until smooth.
- Combine blended apple mixture, 1 cup sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and all-spice in the Dutch oven or saucepan.
- Bring mixture to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Cool for 45 minutes to 1 hour and store in airtight containers.