This year, National Pretzel Day lands on Wednesday, April 26, and several national chains are offering free or nearly-free pretzels in celebration. Before we get to the fun part, a quick history lesson: The holiday dates back to 1983, when then-Rep. Robert S. Walker, R-Pennsylvania, declared April 26 National Pretzel Day, in honor of his own favorite food.
1. Auntie Anne's customers who use the My Pretzel Perks app can have their pick of a free Original or Cinnamon Sugar Pretzel from Wednesday through Sunday, April 30. Download the app by 11:59 p.m. April 26 to be eligible!
2. Ben's Soft Pretzels will give customers a free pretzel from 1 to 7 p.m. April 26 with a $1 donation to the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund.
3. All traditional and Walmart locations of Philly Pretzel Factory will offer free pretzels all day April 26, and locations will reward the first 100 people in line with gift cards good for a free pretzel every day during the month of May.
4. Pretzelmaker is offering up 26-cent salted or unsalted pretzels at participating locations on April 26 -- if you sing them a round of "Happy Birthday."
5. Finally, Wetzel's Pretzels is giving out free pretzels April 26 at participating locations -- amusement park, airport and arena stores excluded. Download the chain's mobile app for a bonus free pretzel redeemable April 27 to May 1.
What's your favorite soft pretzel stop? Are you a mall pretzel-er or a street cart lover?