Minted Pea Quinoa Salad
Fresh peas, mint, and lemon practically scream spring in this delightful salad. Great warm or cold, have it as a dinner side, or make it ahead for lunch.
- 1 1/2 cup shelled peas (English peas are wonderful when in season)
- 1/4 cup mint
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (More to taste)
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add peas to an unheated pan with a lid. Sprinkle the mint leaves on top. In a separate pan, boil water. Pour just enough boiling water over the peas to cover them. Bring the mint and peas to a boil, cover with the lid, and cook for 3 minutes, or according to how al dente you'd like them.
- Strain the peas and mint, then transfer to a small bowl. Pour the olive oil over the peas, then set aside while preparing everything else.
- Prepare the quinoa according to package directions, but use 1/4 cup lemon juice as part of the cooking liquid. Remove the cooked quinoa from the heat and let sit 5 minutes before fluffing.
- Transfer the fluffed quinoa to a mixing bowl to let cool completely. Taste it to check how lemony it is. If it needs some more lemon punch, squeeze a lemon or two into the peas and stir.
- Pour the peas and oil into the quinoa, tossing to evenly mix. If desired, garnish with more mint leaves, lemon wedges, and add salt and pepper, if desired.