Mint Chocolate Chip Food Processor Ice Cream
This Mint Chocolate Chip Food Processor Ice Cream is a fun project to do with the kids at home. All you need is a few ice cube trays and a food processor.
- 1 12-ounce can evaporated milk
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Green food coloring
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- In a medium saucepan over low heat combine the evaporated milk and mint and heat until steaming. Remove from the heat and let steep 1 hour.
- Pour the evaporated milk through a fine-mesh strainer, pressing on the mint to extract all of the oils. Discard mint.
- In a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, vanilla extract and salt until pale yellow and the mixture falls in thick ribbons, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a medium saucepan heat the mint infused evaporated milk to a simmer. With the mixer running, slowly pour the evaporated milk in and whisk until fully incorporated. Transfer back into the saucepan and whisk until the mixture reaches 180ºF. The mixture will be thick. Add a few drops of green food coloring if desired. Chill mixture and pour into ice cube trays. Freeze solid, about 4-5 hours.
- In a food processor, add ice cubes and heavy whipping cream Process until smooth. Stir in chocolate chips. Transfer to a container and freeze 4 more hours before serving.
We really like the taste of fresh mint but you can substitute peppermint extract and skip steps 1 and 2. Keep this ice cream in a air-tight container to prevent freezer burn.