Mexican Wedding Cookies
Also known as povlorones, these delightful, melt-in-your-mouth cookies are easy to whip up in huge batches and so are wonderful for sharing.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar, divided
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Cream together the butter and 1/2 cup powdered sugar until light and fluffy, then stir int he vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour and salt. Gradually beat this into the butter, then stir in the chopped nuts.
- Divide the dough in half, then cover with plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Form the chilled dough into 1 inch balls, and place onto parchment lined baking sheets. They won't expand too much while baking, but leave about an inch between them.
- Bake until the cookies begin to turn a light, golden brown, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly, until they're cool enough to handle, basically. Put the remaining powdered sugar in a shallow bowl or plate. Working with a few at a time, toss the warm cookies in the powdered sugar. Transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.