Make-Ahead Vegetable Lasagna
This Vegetable Lasagna can be made-ahead and frozen, making this delicious and healthy weeknight meal on the table super quick!
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 zucchini, sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 12 no-boil lasagna noodles
- 1 cup ricotta
- 1 egg
- 4 cups mozzarella cheese
- On a plate, sprinkle salt on zucchini slices and let sit for 10 minutes to release excess moisture. Blot with paper towels and preheat broiler to high. Broil zucchini on a sheet pan until slightly browned and tender, about 2-3 minutes per side. Set aside.
- Meanwhile make the tomato sauce by heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil, onion, and garlic and cook until translucent. Add chopped mushrooms and cook 5 minutes more. Pour in crushed tomatoes and dried basil and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered 30 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In small bowl combine ricotta and egg.
- In a 13x9-inch pan spread with 1/2 cup of sauce mixture. Layer a single layer of zucchini on top. Add 4 lasagna noodles and 1/3 of ricotta mixture. Top with 1 cup of mozzarella cheese. Repeat with remaining 2 layers, ending with mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with plastic wrap and foil and cover tightly. Place in freezer.
- To Bake: Preheat oven to 375ºF. Remove plastic wrap and foil and cover with a new sheet of foil. Bake 1 1/2 hours. Remove foil and cook until cheese is browned and bubbly, about 10 minutes more. Serve.
If you would like to bake this lasagna right away, preheat your oven to 375ºF and bake 1 hour. This lasagna can be kept in the freezer for up to two months.