Make-Ahead Baked Chimichangas
These Baked Chimichangas can be made ahead of time and frozen, making this a perfect make-ahead dinner. Just pop it in the oven and you're done!
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 cups salsa
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne or crushed red pepper
- 1 4-oz can diced green chilies
- 8 flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high and cook ground beef until no longer pink. Drain grease and place beef in a medium bowl.
- To bowl add salsa, kidney beans, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, and diced green chilies.
- Place 1/3 cup of meat mixture into each tortilla and top with a sprinkling of cheese. Wrap tortilla tightly around filling. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Wrap each individual chimichanga in foil and place in a freezer bag. Freeze.
- To Cook: Preheat oven to 350ºF. Place chimichangas (still wrapped in foil) in the oven until heated through, about 50 minutes. Unwrap the chimichangas from foil and bake 10 more minutes to crisp tortillas. Serve.
You can also thaw the chimichangas in the fridge overnight and bake for a reduced 30 minutes. Serve with rice and beans, guacamole, and sour cream.