Lobster Mac and Cheese
Lobster makes anything ten times fancier and tastier. Take cozy comfort food to the next level with this decadent variation on a down home classic.
- 1 lb macaroni
- 1 quart whole milk
- 8 tbs butter, divided
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup flour
- 12 oz Gruyère, grated
- 8 oz white cheddar, grated
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/2 lbs cooked lobster meat, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Cook the pasta to al dente per the package directions, then drain well.
- Heat the milk in a small saucepan to scald, but avoid bringing it to a boil.
- In a large pot, melt 6 tbs butter over medium. Add the shallots and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, then whisk in the flour. Stirring constantly, cook for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the warmed milk and cook another 1 to 2 minutes. We're looking for the mixture to be smooth and slightly thickened.
- Remove the pot from the heat and add the Gruyere, cheddar, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Stir until the cheese melts.
- Stir in the drained pasta and lobster.
- Pour the mix into a large baking dish, or divide between smaller, 2 cup gratin dishes.
- Melt the remaining 2 tbs butter, then mix with the bread crumbs. Sprinkle this over the cheesy pasta. Bake until the sauce is bubbly and the pasta has browned on the top, about 30 to 35 minutes.