Jalapeño and Cheese Bread
Make this Jalapeño and Cheese Bread at home and impress all of your friends! No bakery here, folks, this is completely homemade.
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 3/4 cup warm water, divided
- 4 cups flour
- 2 tsp hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 egg
- 2 jalapeños, chopped
- In a small bowl combine the yeast, sugar, and 1 cup warm water and stir. Let yeast proof until bubbly, about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine flour, remaining water, yeast mixture, hot sauce, 1 cup cheese and egg and knead until a smooth dough forms, about 6 minutes. Cover and place in a warm place to proof and rise double in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF. Punch down dough and shape into a large 10-inch square and place on a parchment-paper-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with cheese and jalapeños and let rise 10 minutes. Place in oven and cook until cheese starts to brown and bread is cooked through, about 30-40 minutes. Remove from oven and cool before serving.
The best temperature of the warm water is just a bit warmer than your body temperature. Remove the seeds from the jalapeño if you do not want the bread to be too spicy.