Jalapeño Cheddar Grits
Grits aren't just for breakfast. Complete any weeknight dinner with this guaranteed easy to make spicy and savory side dish.
- 2 tbs bacon fat or butter
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup quick cook grits (Use stone ground, though if you can find them. But be sure to adjust the cooking time)
- 4 cups broth or stock
- 4 oz cheddar cheese, freshly grated (About 2 cups)
- Heat the bacon fat over medium in a medium sauce pan, then cook the jalapeños until soft, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute more.
- Remove from pan then carefully pour in the broth. Bring to a boil, then whisk in the grits. Continue whisking while the mix thickens for a few minutes, then reduce the heat to low to simmer. Stir occasionally, and cook until the desired creaminess is reached, around 10 minutes.
- Whisk in the cheddar then season with salt and pepper, as desired.
These versatile grits will make a wonderful side to nearly anything you rustle up for dinner. Top them with some bacon bits, shrimp, or beef tips and you're good to go.