Cooler nights mean it's time to start making soup for dinner. If you're not a fan of complicated weeknight soups, then Instant Pot recipes are the way to go. This Instant Pot potato soup recipe is perfect for any night of the week and we know your whole family will love it. It's the best potato soup; simple and easy comfort food, like a loaded baked potato in a bowl, and doesn't take a lot of prep time.
Start by setting your Instant Pot to sauté. Cook the diced yellow onion for about 5 minutes, then add two chopped cloves garlic and cook for about a minute. While the onions are cooking, dice the potatoes. You can use russet potatoes, Yukon gold potatoes or even red potatoes, and whether you peel them or not is up to you. Add the potatoes to the pressure cooker, then pour in the low-sodium chicken broth (you can use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth if you want to make the soup vegetarian). Secure the lid and set to pressure cook/manual on high for 8 minutes. The total time will be longer as it takes time for the high pressure to build up. When the timer goes off, do a quick release to let the steam out.
Instant Pot Ultra 3 Qt 10-in-1
While the soup is cooking, whisk together 2 tablespoons of the whole milk and cornstarch in a small bowl to make a slurry. After removing the Instant Pot lid, set it to sauté again and pour in the slurry, the rest of the milk and the heavy cream. Season the soup with kosher salt and ground black pepper. Bring everything to a boil and cook for about five minutes. Stir for that whole cook time. If you like your soup on the creamy side, you can use an immersion blender.
One of the best things about this Instant Pot potato soup is that you can garnish it however you like. Top the soup with sharp cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon and chives. Add a few green onions and a dollop of sour cream along with your shredded cheese.
Instant Pot Potato Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 2 pounds russet or Yukon Gold potatoes about six potatoes
- 4 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup whole milk plus two tablespoons
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- cheese, bacon, green onions optional, for garnish
- Set Instant Pot to sauté. Cook the diced onions in butter until soft, for about 5 minutes, then add garlic and thyme and cook for another minute.
- Add the potatoes and broth. Secure the lid and set to Pressure Cook/Manual on High for 8 minutes. When the timer sounds, do a quick release, then remove the lid.
- Whisk together 2 tablespoons of milk and the cornstarch in a small bowl to make a slurry.
- Set Instant Pot to sauté again. Pour in the slurry and add the remaining 1 cup of milk and the heavy cream. Stir the soup as it boils for five minutes.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste. Serve the soup with your choice of garnish like cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon, and green onions before serving.