Giant soft pretzels are such an easy snack to make, you'll never need to grab them from the mall again.
- 1 1/4 cup water, warm
- 4 tsp yeast
- 1 tbs sugar
- 2 tsp kosher salt (Plus more for sprinkling)
- 1 tbs butter, melted
- 3 1/2 cups flour (Plus more for kneading)
- 2/3 cup baking soda
- 10 cups water
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tbs water
- In a large mixing bowl, or the bowl of a stand mixer, combine 1 1/4 cup warm water and yeast. Let stand while preparing other ingredients, or at least 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, sugar, and salt.
- Add melted butter to the yeast mixture, then add the flour mixture and combine to make dough. If using a stand mixer, use the dough hook on the lowest speed until the dough just forms, about 1 minute. Increase the speed to medium and knead until the dough is elastic, about 4-5 minutes. If mixing by hand, a wooden spoon will work at first, but your hands would be even better. This method should take closer to 8-10 minutes.
- Transfer dough to a lightly greased mixing bowl, cover it with plastic wrap, and let sit in a warm place until dough has doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 450 F and prepare two baking sheets by either lightly greasing, or lining with parchment paper.
- Combine 10 cups water and baking soda in a wide saucepan or roasting pan. Bring to a rolling boil to ensure the baking soda is dissolved.
- Meanwhile, turn dough out to a lightly greased surface and divide into 8-10 equal pieces. Roll each into a rope about 20 inches long then twist into a pretzel shape. Repeat until all dough has been shaped.
- Working with one at a time, place each pretzel in the boiling water for 30 seconds. Transfer to the baking sheet. When all pretzels have been boiled, brush on beaten egg mixture and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake until golden brown, about 12-14 minutes. Let cool on wire rack at least 5 minutes before serving.