Hidden Cauliflower Macaroni and Cheese
Bolster the nutrients without sacrificing flavor in this cheesy, creamy, secretly cauliflower-y mac and cheese.
- 1 lb macaroni
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 tbs butter
- 3 cups shredded cheese (We recommend sharp cheddar, pepper jack, gouda, fontina, gruyere, or a combination)
- Turn oven broiler on.
- Cook macaroni according to package instructions. Drain when al dente. Set aside.
- Cut cauliflower into florets, then steam or boil until soft. Transfer to a blender and purée with the half and half.
- Add cauliflower purée, butter, and cheese to a large pot on medium. Cook until cheese has melted, about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in pasta, adding salt and pepper if desired.
- Transfer to a lightly greased baking dish, and broil until the top begins to brown, about 5 minutes.