Ham and Bean Soup
This easy and flavorful soup recipe is perfect for holiday leftovers.
- 1 leftover ham bone, meat removed
- 6-10 cups water
- 1 medium onion, diced (Check out our handy how-to video)
- 2-3 medium carrots, diced
- 2 medium russet potatoes, diced
- 2-3 ribs celery, diced
- 15 oz white beans (We like cannellini)
- 1 1/2 cup ham, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 sprigs thyme, fresh (Or sub for 1/2 tsp dried)
- 3 sprigs oregano, fresh (Or sub for 1/2 tsp dried)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place hambone in large pot and cover with water, but leave room for the water to boil. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and let cook for 1 hour. Remove and discard bone when done. Reserve broth.
- Heat 2 tbs olive oil or butter in a large pot over medium. Add onion, carrots, potatoes, and a pinch of salt. Stirring occasionally, cook until onions have become translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add celery, beans, ham, garlic, thyme, and oregano. Stir and let cook about 1 minute.
- Pour in ham broth, leaving enough room to boil. Supplement with water or store bought broth if necessary. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer and cook until potatoes are tender, or about 30 minutes.
Want to make this recipe even easier? Skip the sautéing and toss everything in the slow cooker on low 7-8 hours or high 4-5 hours.