Ever wanted to try green eggs and ham from the Dr. Seuss children's book of the same name? Well, now you can. We've thrown together a fairly easy green eggs and ham recipe that you can customize with your favorite green veggies or have in addition to other breakfast treats or brunch recipes like toast or pancakes. If you need ideas for a St. Patrick's Day menu, this could be a great option.
What You'll Need
For this green eggs and ham recipe, you'll need eggs, milk, green food coloring, and whatever ham you prefer, whether it's diced or deli slices or presented in another way. Plus, we're going to add parsley and fresh spinach as a garnish, so have a bit of that on hand, too. You can also swap out the ham for Canadian bacon if you really want to. The exact choices involved with the meat and eggs in this recipe are a true DIY treat!
First, you'll crack the egg or eggs in a bowl. Depending on how much of the dish you want or if you're cooking it for multiple people you'll have to determine how many to throw in. But for this particular recipe, let's say you need two eggs.
You're going to need two teaspoons of milk and two drops of green food coloring, which you should add next. Are you starting to see how this could end up looking like the meal from the book Green Eggs and Ham?
Whisk those ingredients together, then add pieces of ham, whether they're diced or broken into pieces from slices. Pour the egg mixture into a skillet with a little bit of olive oil or butter and cook over medium heat or medium-high heat. Stir periodically with a rubber spatula until you've got cooked eggs.
When the green eggs and ham are ready, turn off the burner and move the mixture to a plate, either on top of or next to some toast. Take just a small handful of fresh parsley and spinach and sprinkle over the eggs and ham. Serve it hot, and enjoy your funky meal!
You can also choose to add in black pepper, parmesan, and other green veggies if you'd like. We don't think Dr. Seuss would mind.
Eat this Green Eggs and Ham Recipe in a Boat, Train, or Tree
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 2 drops Green food coloring
- 2 tablespoons diced ham OR pieces of sliced deli ham
- 1 handful fresh parsley and spinach
- Crack two eggs in a bowl. Add two teaspoons of milk and two drops of green food coloring.
- Whisk ingredients together into an egg mixture. Add ham.
- Pour the egg mixture into a skillet with a little bit of olive oil or butter and cook over medium heat or medium-high heat
- Stir with a spatula until cooked. When cooked, put eggs and ham on top of or next to toast.
- Take a small handful of fresh parsley and spinach and sprinkle over the eggs and ham.