Festive Fruit Pizza
This festive Día de los Muertos pizza is a fun and fruity way to end any meal.
- 1 cup milk
- 4 tbs butter
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 egg
- 7-10 marshmallows
- Your favorite fruit and toppings Blueberries make great eyes!
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Scald the milk by heating on medium and removing it from the stove when small bubbles start to form around the edge.
- Pour milk into mixing bowl and add butter, allowing the butter to melt. Set aside to let cool until it is comfortable to touch.
- Mix flour, salt, and nutmeg in a separate bowl and set aside.
- Once the butter and milk have cooled, add the yeast. Yeast doesn't respond well to high temperatures, and adding it too soon may prevent the dough from rising.
- Add sugar, water, and eggs, to the liquids bowl, then lightly mix to evenly distribute.
- While continuing to stir, add the flour mix slowly, about a cup at a time. The dough will end up sticky, but not soupy. If it's too runny, add extra flour, about a tablespoon at a time.
- Prepare a counter top and rolling pin by lightly coating in flour.
- Separate the dough into two balls, one big and one small.
- Roll out each one into a circle. Then using a little water or milk, lightly wet the dough to attach them and form a skull shape. Use your hands or the rolling pin to make the inside of the skull flatter than the edges.
- To help prevent the middle from rising too much, perforate the dough with a fork.
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes, until dough has lightly browned.
- Set dough aside and let cool.
- Prepare your toppings. We used sprinkles, sliced strawberries, marshmallows, and skeleton cereal. Try it with your favorite fresh fruit combinations!