Fried Apple Fritters
These Fried Apple Fritters are the definition of a perfect autumn dessert. Crisp apples dipped in batter then fried golden brown.
For The Fritters
- 3 Granny Smith apples, sliced into thin rings
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- vegetable oil
For The Topping
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- In a large bowl combine together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and sugar. Stir together. Stir in the buttermilk, and egg until a thick batter forms.
- Meanwhile heat 2-inches of vegetable oil in large pot to 350ºF.
- Dip the apples into the batter and place into the oil, cooking until golden brown on both sides, about 5 minutes. Remove to a paper towel to drain.
- In a small bowl make the topping by combining the sugar and cinnamon. Toss the fritters in the mixture to coat. Serve.
We like to use crisp Granny Smith apples for this recipe because they hold up to the batter and they come out crisp. Eat these fritters right away, they tend to get soggy sitting out.